It’s been two weeks since High School (work) and graduate school started up again for me and it’s been very hard to find studio time. I know the next few months will be crazy so I’m just trying to soldier ahead as best I can. Above is an older Pullip custom I decided to finish, Space Babe, inspired by Rudy Fig. She’s very different from my normal style and I tried to do more with pastel blushing and colored pencils in addition to my normal acrylic paint. She’s almost finished and I’ll put her up for adoption when she’s done. Because of the chalk pastel I need to seal her with MSC but Florida has a constant 80% humidity when it’s not flat out raining (at least that’s what it feels like). I worked so hard on her now I’m scared to seal her.
Over the last few weeks I decided to go through my Monster High collection and get rid of a few dolls while reorganizing the rest. This is my “during” photo and everyone is almost organized now. They’re all out in our library, but the boys in the house keep touching them and messing up my meticulous arranging. They secretly love dolls, but are too manly to admit it, or so it seems. I’ve also been buying more custom dolls than stock dolls lately, have to support my doll customizing brothers and sisters, don’t you know.
Time for another week of studio photos (that are late again, oops) hurray! This week was my first full week back to school, which teachers call pre-school, so it’s been very hard to find studio time. My posts will probably get a lot less frequent as school starts up, for both me and my students, because it looks like I’m back in my M.A. program. Crazy! I left two years ago when I started teaching because I could not juggle my one grad school class with teaching classes (mandatory) and being a good teacher. Now I am wanting to get my PhD and teach college, so my M.A. has to be a priority. I have one class and my thesis left so this will be a crazy year!
Above are some small cameos that I was mixing and matching to get them ready for craft shows. I had to set a bunch of them to the side because so many of the cameos had flaws. I don’t know about other handmade/crafty people, but I’ve found sellers are sending me more and more damaged good which I will not sell my customers. When I’ve emailed them they’ve ignored me or, worse, after sending them photos, say they “can’t see” what’s wrong with the damaged item. Silly.
Swoon! I bought this beautiful Leeke World wig from Fabric Friends (link goes to Leeke wigs page) their website doesn’t look that nice and they list the wig color instead of showing it, but they have always had rare wigs and shipped them quickly. Denver Doll is also an excellent site if you’re looking for Leeke wigs without the $20 minimum Leeke shipping charge.
This week’s Studio Portrait Friday is a super-belated edition! I had a feeling that I would have a hard time maintaining work/life balance with school starting up again, and boy was I right. I am willing to fight through it though, making things and this summer as a whole has brought so much joy back into my life, I am not going to give it up. That being said, look at all those bows! I bought a huge lot (300 pieces) of tiny bows off eBay and when they arrived I sorted them into a rainbow. You can see that there are damaged ones with no shimmer on them, and I had to throw about a dozen away, but you get what you pay for. There were a ton of lime green and black with blue shimmer, happily there were also lots of pale pink bows. They will be coming to a kokeshi near you.
Next up is some new Dragon Scale jewelry. I made prototypes of a bunch of different colorways for the shop: sunset, yellow, pink, milk, and cyan. I need to photograph them once it’s stopped raining every day. Also I’m working on adding a glaze to the top of these, which doesn’t change how they look at all, but will make them even more durable. I have come to the realization that I am not hard enough on jewelry to effectively test the prototypes (though I do). I might be doing a prototype giveaway in the future so that people can test them out for me; everyone wins. If you like this idea I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
Yesterday I was so excited to post photos of the new Zombuki doll, the Sea Witch, that I posted her final photos before her studio photos. Above you can see her during my second sitting with her. I finished her in four sessions over two days, which has got to be a new record for me. Her sparkly glitter eyes might just be my favorite thing about her, I’m thinking of casting some resin ones to match. The glitter is what inspired her whole color scheme and her eyes are made out of a mix of two sea-green-blue colors.
Here is a photo of the eyelashes that I used to make the Sea Witch. They’re actually eyelash flares that I placed individually. On the left is the $5 Walgreens I Heart Daniel flares from a few Halloweens ago, and on the right are $20 Shu Uemura flares. The only difference is that the Shu flares are a tiny bit darker and come in a nicer package; I used both on the Sea Witch and you cannot tell.